8/11/14

MUN Chat for AVAA Scholars at Caracas, Venezuela.


On June 17th, I began my Signature Project adventure by giving my first chat at Caracas, Venezuela. My audience were university students who are as well scholars at AVAA, Asociacion Venezolano Americana de Amistad (American-Venezuelan Friendly Asociation). These top of the class Venezuelan students are required to learn English as a second language in order to satisfy their scholarship requirements, and attending mini-conferences helps them practice what they learn in class.

I chose the topic of my conference to be MUN, something I had been working on for the past year. This, I thought, would not only help them in their public speaking abilities, but also in their improvisation, debating, and writing. Some of them knew what MUN was all about, and had even attended conferences at Caracas, but others had no clue.

I started by posing some questions, and let them chat a little about them. It was very interesting to hear their comments, thoughts, and own questions. Later, I went on answering them, and continued to a mini-debate about Marriage Equality. I let them choose the topic.

This mini-conference helped them immensely in their English, and also helped me develop some new MUN teaching skills for beginners. It was a great opportunity for me to share my knowledge about this topic, and also help my community. I am very thankful to AVAA for letting me do this, and I hope to have the opportunity to do it again when I return to Caracas.

  The Certificate:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Camila G.'s Signature Project